View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 09:28 AM

Default Re: -9171 and -9172 errors with Pro Tools HD 10.3 on HDX

With respect to H/W buffers and latency…

In my experience, HDX is equal to, or worse than HD. Under any version, and even with a modest native load, HDX only plays back at the two highest buffer settings.

Example— a session running on both HDX & Natively.

Native 96k session at H/W Buffer 1024 - CPU (Native) = 30-32%. Change the H/W Buffer 512 - refuses to play back. (-9171 and -9172)

Same session, HDX 96k session at H/W Buffer 1024 - CPU (Native) = 20-22%. Change the H/W Buffer 512 - refuses to play back. (-9171 and -9172)

This happens with PT 10.3.2 in either Lion or Mountain Lion.

On a related issue, some people at Gearslutz are saying putting a VI into record mode defaults to low latency. I'm not finding that, and I've measured the VI latency, so I'm not expressing opinion.
Anyone seeing what they're reporting?

Interestingly, in Mountain Lion, when you record enable to merge MIDI onto existing VI MIDI, the H/W Buffer latency is suddenly reflected in the existing MIDI (delay comp is disabled?). In 10.7.4, this does not happen.

I wonder if HDX is inferior to Native when using VI? I'd love for Avid to chime in on that. I'd buy a Native card to use for composing, and use HDX track intensive stuff.

Finally, I'd like to point out that, with all the 3rd party AAX & RTAS, it's got to crazy difficult to offer support... For example, I run a lot of Lexicon PCM, maybe that's part of my issue. In future, I will run everything but Avid VI in VEP5.

Either way, I'm sure Avid, and the their many experienced Beta guys are doing their best to address these issues.

Okay, back to work...:thumbsup: