View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 11:30 AM

Default Re: USB 3.0 for external recording drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebB View Post
Yes, that helps. Sorry about not framing my question. I was wondering specifically if I can record to a USB 3.0 external drive as I am considering the non retina MBP 2012 15". I am using the 003R and thought it would be nice to keep it on it's own connection (firewire) separate from a recording hard drive.

nst7, I did see that thread and asked the person if he had tried recording at 128 samples since I am always recording throughout the project (having tons of tracks with tons of plugs and needing to record still).

Darryl, I also wish AVID would officially qualify thunderbolt and USB 3.0.

If anybody else is using Mountain Lion, the new non retina MBP 2012 15", USB 3.0, thunderbolt, or have replaced the optical drive in the MBP with a second 7200 SATA or a SSD drive I would love to hear your experience.
The link that nst7 posted has beautiful detail of what that user tried. Based on that if going USB3 I'd try to use the same USB3 case/drive.

The other options you have to avoid both interfaces on the same FW bus is to use Apple's Thunderbolt to FW adapter to get a second Firewire bus. Several folks have reported using those working fine (or using the FW adapter built into an Apple Thunderbolt display). One user had a problem when using the FW adapter--but I suspect it was not the adapter but UAD Apollo related FW problems.

Darryl