View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 02:30 PM

Default Re: 5.1 line-up tones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Kosinec View Post
What do you use- 1k @-20 peak for L R C Ls Rs and 80hz for LFE? And what RMS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 1Khz tone at -20dbfs is for electrical alignment, all channels including the LFE have the same tone. When the tone plays in Pro-Tools all channels will read -20dbfs. This is used so that 'lay back' aligns their system to read -20dbfs.

I put Pink RMS at -20dbfs in all channels including LFE. This tone is to check that the SPL playback levels are matched to 85 dbSPL C slow. If this tone is sent to the subwoofer, the channel itslef has a given high cut off frequency usually at 120Hz which is 1/2 of the sampling frequency of the channel and because of this frequency response, the SPL level of the sub would be about 4 db higher than the other channels (so it would read around 89db spl c slow. The pink tone (across all channels) is more to ensure that the theater - many times smaller indie theaters- does not have the master audio volume too low. So, the pink noise is more of a double check for volume playback and not really meant to for re-alignment of the theater. Theaters have their own aligning tones and equipment. I want to add that each speaker must read 85dbC slow and NOT a combined volume of all speakers.

Last edited by garnoil; 09-17-2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: missed information