View Single Post
Old 01-09-2002, 08:01 AM

Default Anyone out there using 31 band EQ\'s and Pink noise to calibrate monitors to the room?

I have in the past connected a stereo 31 band EQ between my Mackie 24-8 control room outputs and my power amp. I then hook up my pink noise generator to the inputs on the mackie and have it output pink noise so the pink noise is coming out the monitors. I then hook up a microphone (in my case it's a supposedly flat Peavy elektret (or something like that) up to the spectrum analyzer input on the pink noise generator/spectrum analyzer and it displays what the mike is picking up. I assume this is showing the defiecencies of my monitors and the characteristics of the room. I then use the 31 band EQ to shape the sound coming out the monitors so the pink noise is that the mic has picked up is flat across all bands on the spectrum analyzer.

I try not to EQ too much as I dont want any delays or phase problems to occur. is this OK? seems to me that even if I got the flattest monitors I could find I would still have to deal with the characteristics of the room. should I shy away from this practice or am i a complete stud for coming up with this practice on my own. no one suggested this to me but it's obvious to me that this is exactly what a spectrum analyzer/pink noise generator is for. I really need some good monitors. my system has practically no bass but is very clear in the high end. they are 6.5 inch 'Gold Sound' speakers from Denver, CO. Gold Sound is a hi fidelity speaker and amp shop and he claimed these are pretty good for their buck and accurate too (i told him I didnt want exagerated anything). I probably need some good 1000 dollar speakers but I cant afford them right now. any great speakers for under 500 bucks? I see all kinds in the musiciand friend catalog for cheap but I bet they arent too accurate. PAR did a review of the carvin monitors and they look good as long as you dont turn on the stupid hi fi simulator.