View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Changed input routing since PhoenixVerb Surround v3?

Quote:
Hi folks,
The good Dr. Sound referred me to this one. I can respond, but you won't like the answer. The change in routing is probably not intentional. In all likelihood it's a bug. But it's been the better part of a year since it got cooked into the code. During that last development period I ran an open beta. Too bad it wasn't caught then when I could do something about it. It all likelihood it was collateral damage that came across as I was trying to work around surround issues with other DAWs. I wish I'd caught it. However it happened (and I honestly don't remember), there's not a thing I can do about it right now.
I normally would not comment publicly about a private discussion I was part of, but in this case I feel it is appropriate. I had a lengthy email conversation with Exponential Audio support in March of 2019 about this very issue. We exchanged Pro Tools sessions and screen capture movies showing the issue. The above statement directly contradicts what I was told via email.

I suggested it was a bug since the behaviour changed after a version update. There was a bit of back and forth, as they did not fully understand the issue I was addressing. Eventually the response I received was...

Quote:
In a 1 channel -> to many stem, such as you’re describing, the mono input comes in by a single channel. By convention, that channel is overlaid by the left channel in a multichannel setup (channel 0)...I understand that time spent trouble shooting is not time mixing and creating.
I like to avoid such issues as well as no one likes troubleshooting.

Right now, the plug-ins will remain as is, but you(sic) concerns will be noted for possible future updates.
I apologize that I can't promise any recent fixes as this isn't a bug but more related to overall workflow.
So I was told this was not a bug, but expected behavior, and that we should change our workflow to account for it. Which we had already done in order to finish the mix. For the record, I was not the mixer, but the issue was thrust upon me as it occurred on my dubstage.

We discovered it the hard way, as a pre-dub was done on one stage with the older version of Phoenixverb and then went to final on a stage with 3.0 version. All dx, foley and fx that had been set up this way with mono to 5.1 verbs started going left heavy when the wet/dry mix was adjusted. It took quite a while to figure out why, as the issue was not obviously related to a reverb at first listen. We had to postpone the mix until we had it figured out. Took us all morning to find the solution to downgrade. When I expressed my concern to the developer that this could have unforeseen catastrophic consequences on a dubstage, I was disappointed to receive this reply. I then mentioned that we would have to downgrade all of our rooms until a fix was provided and that I would have to inform my colleagues of this bug. Their reply was concern that I would post on a public forum. Which I had no intention of doing. I contacted them directly, trying to give them an opportunity to fix the issue with an update quietly. Soon after this, Exponential was acquired by Izotope. We still use version 2.09 for now. I am not suggesting anyone specific is to blame for the reason this occurred. However, the responses are inconsistent with each other.
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300
www.anarchypost.net