Thread: HDX vs Native
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2019, 06:58 AM

Default HDX vs Native

I know this has been discussed here before, elsewhere and endlessly but I thought I’d give it a go after the recent software update.

See below for my set up, I use this for film sound fx editing and design, which means I’m usually working within multiple 7.1 busses, multiple verbs and rarely any VI’s, maybe 1 every now and then because I do like playing with Chris Watson’s sonic couture Geosonics.

I was recently given session that was way over the my 256 available voices but worked fine on my colleagues native system and even in their tiny little MacBook. Their system doesn’t show voices, so I couldn’t see how many but I was short at least a couple of fx 7.1 busses and a couple of verbs. So I expect 40 tracks, give or take.

The question is, are there any good reasons why I should not sell my HDX card and buy the native setup instead, pocketing the change, or more likely spending it on more gear and plugins.

I know buying another HDX card would work very well. The Sonnet has SSD’s, for sessions and picture respectively, in the other 2 slots and that’s working great.

Bottom line - why does a native system allow so many more voices?

What’s the point in holding on to the HDX card for the work I do?

Thanks for any pointers or advice you can give me to help make my next purchase.