View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools is critically low on memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicune View Post
Hi George

Your problem lies here:

Superior and Kontakt can both be highly RAM intensive depending on how many samples you have loaded. Now I know what you're thinking - I have 32GB, but you've probably missed a crucial bit of info being fairly new to the forums. PT10 is a 32-bit application - it cannot address more than 4GB of RAM and frankly starts to get a bit flaky long before that. So here are a few possible short and long-term solutions for you respectively:

Short term:

1 Check your session for any plugins you aren't using at all and remove them
2 Switch superior to using 16-bit samples
3 Unload any drum kit elements you are not using
4 Try enabling Kontakt's memory server - this loads its samples external to the plugin thereby reducing the load on PT

Long term:

1 Upgrade to PT11 or higher
2 Look at an external plugin hosting solution like VEPro or Bluecat
Running inside BlueCat Patchwork or MB7-2 won't help here as it's still within the memory footprint of whatever PT version is in use. But running inside VEPro 5 should help. What also will help and has been mentioned is running Kontakt memory server.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyiakoumi View Post
Hi Suicune,

Thank you so much for the breakdown, that is exactly what I was thinking regarding the 32GB RAM. I'm currently at work but when I get home I'm going to try the tips you suggested.

I actually have a license for Pro Tools 11 so if the fact 10 being 32-bit is the real culprit here I may just upgrade to dismiss this issue.

The reason I stayed with Pro Tools 10 all this time is because at the time of Pro Tools 11's release there were some issues with running some plug-ins/not being compatible with RTAS and I believe Superior Drummer 2.0 was one of them, or it may have been NI's Guitar Rig 5.. I don't fully remember and i'm still not sure if this issue has since been resolved (perhaps someone here has the answer to that?).

I'll keep you posted!

Thanks
George
GR5 has always been RTAS compatible; it's only recent versions of any NI plugins that have removed RTAS compatibility. Are you sure you don't mean aax 64 compatibility instead? That was a huge issue when PT11 originally dropped.

QAPLA!