View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Reverb Plug-ins (Recommendations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
When you say gain do you mean increasing the volume or adding the character of the units? When using EQs and compressors you should use the gain control to match the output level to unity gain rather than just to add volume which means that you should match the level of the effects to the level of the track when the effects are on bypass, otherwise the volume difference can fool your ears, here's an example:
https://youtu.be/BfEbiaWA6D8
Wow, that was helpful. I’ve learned more here than a few days on YouTube. My recordings usually show up at around -10db because when I’m at -6db my microphone picks up detailed noises. I always had EQ that would bring my volume down, then I would adjust the gain on my compressor to bring it back up to be loud enough. You’re saying those are to make it sound identical volume-wise, but edited now, meaning I should still be around -10db. In order to be loud enough, I would have to raise my vocal track volume above 0db. I like my sound, but I’m trying to improve my recording and learn the right way.