View Single Post
Old 10-01-2019, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Creative Transport Customization

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Here's a simple way to reprogram the Back button on the Transport Section of the Automation Module to provide a bit more flexibility, should you find yourself commonly toggling Insertion Follows Playback.

The Back button in the attached appset has been modified to trigger the EUCON function Restore Last Selection, which will bring back the last selection or insertion which existed before hitting play. This can be used in combination with toggling Insertion Follows Playback ON, which advances the playhead. To get back to the previous position, simply press the Back switch.

Before loading this appset, (modified from current S6 v18.3 software) please save a copy of your existing set if you've customized the factory so you can retrieve the custom functions. This can all be accomplished from the Settings > Soft Keys page on the Master Module. Simply place the attached XML file on a flash drive, pop it into the back of the Master Module and Load it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ug32sfwjrb...60918.xml?dl=0
Thanks Jeff for this post, I had actually set that up before I saw your post, I think it is a great idea that you posted. If it is helpful to anyone I have found that Restore Last Selection can be spotty especially if you ever unlink timeline and edit selection. Even if you go back to having them linked for some reason Pro Tools doesn't restore last selection very well even if you make the last selection again.

For this reason I have found that if you normally work with those linked using back and play with this sequence works pretty consistently.
  1. Options Menu:Link Timeline & Edit Sel
  2. Transport:Locate:Back with 300ms Delay
  3. Transport:Playback:Play (don't substatue back and play for these two steps it will not work properly)
  4. Options Menu:Link Timeline & Edit Sel

I would like to use this in conjunction with Write to All/Selection but for some reason, Pro Tools always writes to play locators and requires that you play from the left locator or Dynamic Transport. I can't use Dynamic transport because that is not supported with Satellite link which I depend on. Back and play is ideally what I want to use anyway and then write to my selection. For what it's worth steps 3 and 4 can be swapped with the same results.

I understand that when using Write to All/Selection you would generally not need to use back and play. However, when working with producers they want to go back and hear something quickly while we are in the moment while we are still getting general levels and as soon as we do we loose the option of write to selection which is frustrating.

In thinking about this more sort of a workaround could be if I use back and play (be sure not to forget I did at the end of a long passage), of course enable Auto Join (back and play without that would generally be silly when writing automation) then (1)Capture, (2)Stop, (3)Punch Capture, and (4)Write to All/Selection. Alternatively, I could also option click on Write Automation to Selection on Stop while we are going through passages.

Last edited by skilletaudio; 10-02-2019 at 11:01 AM.