View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Partition Question

I normally try and keep the page dataset and system drive on one physical drive, and nothing else--windows requires a page dataset even if you have more ram than it can address. I created a small partititon for the page dataset because I don't want to back it up when I back up the system drive.

Whether the 1tb drive is fast enough for the rest of the files is something that can be measured, but its kind of hard to speculate. I am at a loss right now as far as recommending some freeware that can measure drive busyness to see if its a bottleneck.

I have a 1.5 tb for my D drive, and all is well, but my projects are very small, so that doesn't prove anything.

Problem with the larger drives is that the storage density of the platters increases faster than the speed of the arms does, so a really large drive isn't as fast as two smaller ones (hence raid).

Logical partitioning has no performace impact, the performance is determined by the arm and disk rotational speed and the storage density--as shared by all logical drives on the disk. I use partitioning as an administrative tool to help keep things organized--especially for backup and recovery purposes.

Try it and see how it goes-what you are proposing could be just the ticket.