View Single Post
Old 07-29-2004, 09:04 AM

Default Re: WORKAROUND

Quote:
My point though was that their is an avenue which is available for developers to get access to the new file format- Otherwise, the 5.0 session format is always available. It surprises me that Tascam did not incorporate it into the MX2424.

I think the contention of monopolistic business practices is a bit dramatic, And I do not recall other vendors openning the doors for their respective file formats to be readable by others.

Akai, Roland and Fairlight come to mind at the moment....

charles maynes
Actually. It was digidesign who went back on an agreement with Fairlight to allow direct import and export from fairlight to pro-tools. And they had to remove the option in future sofwtare releases. And it was imoprt export of version 4.3. I had conversations about this with fairlight directly.
The encryption serves one purpose. And that is to create a closed sytem, to prevent crossplatform compatability. Same reason for not having any kind of crossplatform conversion available, like AES31.

Av-transfer allows transfer to and from various formats tpo fairlight, as does the program MediaMagic. Except that with media magic you are again stuck with 5.0 transfers. Which I guarantee Digi will stop supoporting in the Near future. Thus leaving absolutely no way to be cross platform compatible.

In also can't help but think that the $500,- pricetag to unlock the Digitranslator tool built into the current versions of Pro-Tools is another way of discouraging users to have access to it. As it would again allow a much easier cross platform for people not using Protools.

Living the dream.