View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Horrible VI performance when recording in 2019.10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Well works GREAT here on both our trashcans and on my MBP 2019 so something is wrong somewhere. If this was widespread we wouldn’t have zero posts a out it. I can arm and record many VI at onge but why would I? One or two at the same time is plenty. Also what you describe about bad at 128 etc etc we run at 64 buffer and works perfect. As we live off this we would have noticed if there was a problem and 64 buffer size on 2 of the Apollo X8P’s and X16 Apollo.

Ine trashcan on High sierra and one on Mojave. My MBP came with Mojave but I tried on my older MBP 2017 and it was the same steady rolling with Sierra 10.12.6.

All Macs have Pro Tools Ultimate (HD 2019.10) ...
Well it could be that PT doesn't like the inbuilt core audio driver of the macbook audio out.. who knows..
The previous problem I had was completely confirmed by support.. so...it was supposed to be fixed..
As I said, previously to 2019.10, with pro tools 12.8.4, on the same macbook, I could run 5x the amount of armed VI's than I can now.. 128 buffer was GREAT..

Only 32 and 64 was a problem.

In 4 years though I have never been able to play Vi's in pro tools at 32 or 64 buffer.. including not on my imac pro.. Even with one Vi armed all cores get loaded when only one core should be loaded.. this was what was supposed to be fixed recently..
All the others I have spoken to say they can do it on windows but have a lot of trouble on mac, like me. I guess you are lucky. I am envious!

As far as why? It's a representative test that applies to audio tracks as well. Pro tools can not handle live audio tracks (well at least not for me) with effects if they are at ultra low buffer.. Of course I like to have the maximum 32 inputs armed at once so I can record all outboard in one pass. This is why I went to UAD, cause Logic could do all 32 inputs at *32 buffer* but PT had to be set to 128 which is way too high for external input monitoring.
Arming multiple VI tracks is a very good way to test how the system reacts at low buffers and how well it multithreads.

Also, I noticed that if the project is a bit busy, even arming just one track can send it over the edge... where as logic is happily chugging along.. S1 is the same.. even arming one track it goes crazy.. Cubase is more well behaved in this regards as is reaper.

I was hoping it was a sierra problem but if you are telling me you use 2019.10 with sierra and no issues, well, what can I say.

I am buying a new laptop soon, 8 core, 64gb ram, so will see how we go then.