View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Recordings not placed in timeline accurately

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgreiner View Post
My buffer is at 1024, and that's the amount that the recordings are late in the timeline. You can see the highlighted selection in the transport.

Every interface reports its buffer latency to the DAW via its driver, and the DAW places recordings into the timeline correctly per that amount, regardless of buffer setting. This normally works perfectly in Pro Tools, and now it doesn't. To be sure it wasn't a firmware error in the Apollo, I did the same test in Logic Pro - it was spot-on:
The big buffer(s) that might provide high latency are not in the interface and Pro Tools does not really need that reported by a driver... it's hopefully setting that value. Pro Tools normally corrects for this in placement in the timeline. .. unless it's confused (like when sharing output paths see my last comment). Pro Tools standard does not correct for converter latency, Pro Tools Ultimate/Professional does, at least on HD hardware AFAIK.

What happens when you set the HW Buffer Size to as small as it can go? Do you still see a ~1024 sample latency? If so you are seeing the fixed size (1k, 2K, 4K depending on sample rate) playback buffer not the "HW buffer" that you are adjusting in the playback engine settings.

What exactly are you doing here? What exact signal paths, inputs and outputs on the tracks. Make things as simple as possible with just two tracks in a new session. Make sure that the track you are playing back and the track you are recording to have different output paths.