View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 03:31 PM

Default Re: What happened to my plugins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post

I don't know.
Right.

I'm sorry to keep pestering you with questions, but is there anywhere I can get a slightly more thorough response?

I still really want to know how to figure out which plugins come with PT vs which plugins do I need a license for?

I swear that when I downloaded PT 11, those plugins just installed with the program! I will take a snapshot on my laptop tonight when I get home and post it.

I think I am quite justified in finding this frustrating. All of these effects (phaser, reverb) have many alternatives that I could have used. Had I known that I would in future been forced to hand over money for these, I would have used different plugins to achieve the same effect.

For new projects, I do not care about the loss of these plugins, but opening old projects is an absolute pain on my new computer, I have to try and replace these plugins with alternatives and then re tweak the controls. There are up to 30 tracks with missing plugins on some of my project files

I am apprehensive at the moment to start any new projects. If I upgrade to a new version of PT in the future, will I suddenly be told that I need a license for the EQ plugin? Will all of my past project files sound like crap until I fork over some money to avid? How do I know which plugins are future proof?

Pro tools is a great product, but compared to most media software, Avids licensing scheme is way too inconsistent and is too often faulty. This is far from the first problem I've had, and Avid have usually been great at rectifying these problems, but I've never had these kind of issues with Ableton, or Logic when I used to use it.

I really think that Iloks are a relic of an age that never even truly came into fruition. It does not surprise me that barely any other software developers jumped on this strange device.

What a headache.