View Single Post
Old 04-19-2002, 07:41 PM

Default Re: 192 & 2" Transfer Test Ideas aka: Return Of The PT Jedi

Because the RADAR does not allow you to trim the inputs for calibration - I would suggest you do the following before any transfer:

Send a 1kHz tone into the RADAR, set it's software to -18dB ref. - take the digital out of the RADAR into the 192 and create 24 aux tracks in PT. Assign the aux inputs to 1-24 and place PT in cal mode.

See what levels you're getting into PT - they should be -18.0 dB ... but if they're not, write down what level is coming into each aux input - use that level when aligning the A/D's on the 192.

Similarly check output at the console back from the RADAR and the 192 to ensure they're consistent.... I wouldn't use the console meters (they're not going to be reliable on an 8078)... you need a high resolution digital meter.... differences of .1dB would invite skepticism.

I would probably feed the analog output of the RADAR to the analog inputs of the 192 (after it's aligned as above) and check where it reads in cal mode - then feed the outputs of the 192 back into it's inputs and align the D/A's the same level.

When are you guys doing this test -- if I'm not busy in the studio -- I could come as an independent 3rd party to oversee the technical aspects for you.

I am working down the road from where MM is anyhow.

BTW burning the mixes down to an audio CD wouldn't be my choice -- that would allow for error correction, etc to be introduced ... the best bet would be to record the final mix to a digital file via the dB converters - not a DAT machine -- why not find another product other than PT if you're not happy with recording your 2 mix digitally into that. How about Sonic - then you could just run over to Dave Collins' place with the files.

Lastly - often times when playing the same 2" back there may be alignment differences when playing back - tape travel comes into play... and not knowing how good these 2" Studers are... you may want to also do a test where you record to both the RADAR and the 192 simultaneously.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••