View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Lous hiss in tracks that are exported

The most likely issue is just low quality or badly set up monitoring on your system.

This hiss is either in the file or not. If it is you should hear it when played back on the originating system. Did you reload the exported WAV back into Pro Tools on you friend's system and listen to it? If not noise there it is in your playback system.

Do you hear the hiss when you stop playback? Be careful, some hardware may mute when there is no signal so you actually have hiss there but only hear it when playing back signal.

What exactly is your monitoring setup/audio path? What interface (the 2i2?), additional monitor controllers if any, what amps, powered monitors etc.

Have you played with gain staging (e.g. on interface output and active monitor levels) to get the best sound/minimize hiss. Have you calibrated the monitor levels? What SPL level you are trying to run at... is this loud rock music etc?

What happens when you try to use headphones? What exact model headphones? Connected where?

Not that it really matters, but if you are both working on Mac why not export as AIFF? Hopefully you are also exporting at the bit depth and sample that sessions all use (no reasons nowadays not to use 32-bit float). My sessions on a Mac would use AIFF 32-bit float audio files, and I've be exporting/importing as that as well.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-10-2020 at 02:35 PM.