View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 12:55 PM

Default Re: 2018.7 So Far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post

Now, on to your problem.. I think Avid should maybe re examine their approval of the cheese greater mac pros.. cause 99% of the serious issues I see here, are with those machines and especially HDN. I am convinced it is something with the pcie bus, but who knows.
It's a PCIe issue for sure..

If I use built in sound, I get correct operation or as near to, did this test for Avid CS three months ago, as part of the 10 day troubleshooting. (Actually used an MBOX at 96k)

Using HDN at that time, and as you point out, you use 128 buffer at 96k to minimise latency, and make simple recording possible.

Just couldn't get to the place needed beyond 12.8.1, even though I'd switched from a 6 core to a 12 core machine.

So dumping HDN, and bought HDX2 in the hope things would improve with a DSP based engine, and can record finally, but it doesn't feel professional.

(HDN on a 12 core mac 5,1 12.8.1 outperformed HDX1 on test.. hence the second HDX card)

For 20 years I've used a qualified machine and all Digital/Avid hardware, I don't use VI's it's just recording mostly like a tape machine, so never any plugs, maybe a Dverb for verb. Doing exactly what I'm doing with my prior TDM HD rigs and Mix rig before that.. never much more that 48 tracks of music in a band situation.

This performance issue with the PCIe certainly explains why HDN PCIe got discontinued quietly, as you point out.. you can't actually record with it in practice.

On to HDX, they have no current alternative, so they can't discontinue it until a time that they do.. it's also clear that that must be taken as a huge consideration how a PCIe over thunderbolt copes with these new Mac OS, maybe it will never work correctly again...close the Edit and Mix window, and the performance is back, so clearly not enough PCIe bandwidth in the new OS?

I wish they had discontinued Cheesegreater support, one thing is clear it was never tested to the needed standard for qualification, as Avid CS proved that replicating my issues on the qualifying computer.

At least this scenario, I'd have not bought two HDX cards, could of got a newer mac and changed out my three HD IO 16x16's, for another manufacture as you pointed out.

All I'm after is a Pro Rig, currently have a huge investment, there's no money in Band recording anymore, so it feels like a factor of 10! :)))

I'm going to have a little moan! I've paid my subscription, and wasted 10 days of my life with Avid CS to get somewhere recognising the bug, and equally nowhere with a fix

The one saving factor is.. I kept my Yosemite Drive with 12.8.1, this has kept me working every day, so I'm thankful for that.

But have truly never know it this bad, ..and that's because the I don't have an easy machine to buy off the shelf, there's no Mac with a PCIe slot, and that gets back to Apples priority of a PCIe card running over thunderbolt, under the latest OS's

Change has to be around the corner? What I think is.. PT cannot progress with 'HDX deadwood' holding it back.. that is my logical conclusion.

Last edited by toolz; 08-01-2018 at 05:49 PM.