View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 12:13 PM

Default Re: The Best Studio Headphone

My ranking of the headphones here:

1) Denon AH-D2000 (no isolation but incredible comfort and I love the bass-rich tone...must be tried to be believed)

2) Audio technica ATH-M50 (these are great tracking cans and all-rounders, except they get sweaty)

3) Sennheiser HD600 (again no isolation but great comfort)

4) Beyer DT770 pro 80 ohm (Best isolation, hyped response, great for vocal tracking)

5) Ultrasone Proline 750 (excellent isolation, deep bass, not great sound but good for checking mixes)

6) AKG K701 (far, far too little bass mars an otherwise impressive sound, also quite uncomfortable)

7) Sennheiser HD280 (great isolation and solid all-rounder, gets sweaty, but a fine way to outfit a studio)

8) Sony 7506 (godawful sound, but some people still want them)

9) AKG K240/K140 etc. (These lower end AKGs are so miserably bright and uncomfy etc. I have no idea how they sell any...I get them as freebies and literally give them to charity)

I've also tried and returned the Extreme Isolation headphones...they actually had very poor isolation and an awful tone. The MoreMe brand also sucks (although you're not supposed to insult the old hack who hangs around online forums and sells them). I do recommend having vic firth 22db hearing protector cans around, you can slip earbuds under them for the best isolation possible.

Also. there are audiophool nutcases who recommend mods be done to headphones...ignore them; you are a professional.

Learn to solder as any of these break within a year and you can usually fix them.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.