View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Nubie:Need Help Recording MIDI From Roland XP50 to Pro Tools

Quote:
Thanks lwilliam,

Yes, I have songs already recorded in the XP-50 that I want to transfer to PT. I have come across Midi Beat Clock references many times in my reading, thanks for explaining it's relevence.

Question: do the clock settings affect recording MIDI from the XP-50 to PT? Meaning, would I be having difficulties getting the XP-50 to send information via MIDI to record into PT because the clock sources were set differently? Or is it more just about getting the tempo accurate like you said? Either way, I will read up in the user manual & try it out.

Thanks for the feedback!

dj
The clock settings should not affect your ability to simply play a note on the keyboard and record it into Protools, nor would they affect Protools' ability to send midi notes to the xp50.

All the clock does is make sure that if you hit "play" in protools while the Roland is set to play a song (and in external sync mode), that Protools and the Roland run at the exact same tempo.

Exporting as an SMF file would probably be easier, but I think the xp50 only has a floppy drive, no CD burner, right? I'm also not sure of the format of the floppy discs it uses - would your Mac be able to read it? No new Macs come with floppy drives.

Remember, the two modes in the Roland: single patch or play, and then a second mode called performance, or multi or something similar. You will also need to find out how to turn "local" off. Otherwise, you will find yourself hearing doubled notes once you get PT receiving midi from the Roland.

I had a Korg M1 that I used with Protools in the late 90's and I think it had a similar architecture as the xp50. I also still own a JV80. It is actually easier to use the built in sounds from Expand! than to fiddle with external synths and multiple modes. I ended up using my M1 mainly as a sound module and getting myself an 88 note midi controller. It just made things a lot easier. However, you should be able to do all that you want to do...it may take a little trial and error to get all the settings just right.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.