View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 09:32 PM

Default Nubie:Need Help Recording MIDI From Roland XP50 to Pro Tools

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to record MIDI from the Roland XP50 into Pro Tools?
I have been trying to figure out how to get my songs from the XP50's sequencer into PT via MIDI, using the same patches I recorded them with (the ones built in to the XP50).

I have applied all of Filosofem's advice from another post (Thanks Filosofem!):

"Configure Audio MIDI Setup (AMS) this information can be found in the 'Getting Started' Mbox 2 Guide.
Hardware configuration should be:
*Mbox 2 MIDI Out to Roland XP50 MIDI In
*Roland XP50 MIDI Out to Mbox 2 MIDI In
*Roland XP50 Audio Out Left & Right to Mbox 2 Input source 1 & 2 DI
Pro Tools Configuration should be:
*MIDI Track - MIDI Output assigned to XP50 Channel 1
*Stereo AUX - AUX Input assigned to Mbox 2 Input source 1 & 2 (Analog 1 & 2)
*MIDI Thru - checked
*Enable Input Only Monitoring
*Record enable MIDI track."

With this I do get a MIDI signal into PT. & I can hear the audio, but can only seem to record a clicking/beeping sound...I guess there is no patch being assigned to the recorded part...?

I'm not even sure what I should be looking at in the Roland Manual's section on using external MIDI devices... i.e what exactly am I trying to do? Synchronize an external sequencer to the XP50's sequencer...? Or synchronize the XP50's sequencer to an external sequencer...? Etc... Is PT (MBox 2) considered an external sequencer in this case?

Before i change a bunch of settings on the XP50 I want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. I also need to continue to use the XP50's keyboard as my MIDI controller for PT plug-ins, so I don't want to change settings and mess that up either.

Hope this makes sense. Any help is very much appreciated!

dj

Powerbook G4
Mbox 2 Pro w/ Pro Tools LE 7.3
Roland XP50