View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Save me some time..Please!!

Thanks guys for responding. Needless to say, I pretty much expected a debate on my recording technique, although both of your tips make perfect sense in your use of the application, its a lot different in broadcasting.

In my original post I stated why I recorded this mono signal on a stereo channel, that fact remains. Stations all across the country use the same technique for radio imaging and multi-track production. We could get into a long discussion about this but I won't waste your time. But here are just a few points I'd like to make.

1. Radio production is fast paced. Not enough time for all the bouncing and re-routing. We know how to do it, but the spot goes on the air in minutes.

2. Plugins and effects play a large role in what I do. All effects MUST be "printed to tape" and who wants mono?

3. We are dealing with 60 seconds most often and you would not not believe how many elements and efx are used on eight stereo channels in that timeframe. Real time effects mixing would be impossible...trust me on that one.

As far as the I/O routing of the mic , I'm hoping to get this figured out soon. Its not a matter of "should I do it this way" its "how do I do it this way". I've run my mic through a mixer for many years and have done just fine recording onto a stereo channel. I was just hoping to bypass the mackie mixer and do the routing in Protools for a cleaner sound. If its not possible without setting up an an aux input, to send to a stereo channel, then please say so. Digi support says it is possible, but the instructions didn't "pan" out with me:).

Meanwhile, if you'd like to discuss recording techniques and processing in the world of radio. We can do that someday. It's different I know. But there's a "method to the madness".

Thanks Everyone!!