View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Suggestion: Avid, create a UAD-like eco-system around the HDX platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
The R&D for a whole line of HDX products was already done but then never expanded. Take OMNI, HDX cards and the AVID I/O and make a family. 8 i/o with 1/2 an HDX card inside, 8X8 with a full HDX1,2 and 3. 16X16 etc... add a standalone HDX box series that connects via TB, or USB3 or Ethernet. Price all these from $2K to whatever. That would have been real competition to UA...

The suite of AAX-DSP is OK but autotune, waves and some others were huge losses. They needed a mitigation plan at release to handle this. It seems so possible that a TDM to AAX-DSP bridge on the HDX card could have been made or maybe even make a special TDM card/box for HDX.
That info about R&D being done for additional HDX products is new to me. Is that true? Do you have a source for that? That is very interesting if true.

I would say the suite of AAX DSP is more than okay, but yes, I agree about the AutoTune and Waves losses. Of course, now you technically CAN do AAX-DSP Waves, albeit unconventionally, with StudioRack, Digigrid and HDX Hardware Inserts.

I don't think it would have been possible to connect TDM and HDX. They are completely different and incompatible architectures.

Last edited by jsvalmont; 03-19-2017 at 01:40 PM.