Thread: Future of icon?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Future of icon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko View Post
Here's a problem I'm dealing with every day: I'm mixing a 200+ channels feature. Everything is in Pro Tools - one HDX for Dia, Foley and Music, other HDX for BGs and FX.
I have 10 different layouts (so far, may be more as I move on) I'm working on Foley layout, all channels are in Touch/Latch mode. Suddenly, I feel I'd like to trim one line in the Dialog.
What's the fastest way of doing it?
In my setup I always have 8 VCAs on the left hand side (DIA, PFX, MUS, FOL, SFX, AMB, FXreturns, with more sub VCAs if needed). The next 24 faders are my VCA spills or mem loc lay-out work tracks.
So in that scenario, when I work on whatever layer, I can always quickly trim something from another layer with the VCA.
That is as long as it is on the same PT system.
My problem in your scenario (I use a HD TDM and HD native in multimode) is when I would like to trim something on the other PT system, for example trim the AMB while mixing the foley in your setup (I divide my mix session mostly as DIA, PFX and MUS on one system, FOL, SFX, AMB on the other).
One always has to leave the current layer to switch PT systems in multimode.
For this I've experimented with dividing the 2 16 fader sections to 2 PT systems, but this has all sorts of other problems, one of them that I was constantly pushing the wrong modifier keys

The only solution for this is having everything on one PT system, my ultimate dream -> PT11 64bit handling 512 tracks HDX2 + great quality video from one computer, without memory problems. HDX3 768 tracks with video would be a bonus, but needs a new Mac Pro with 4 PCIe slots. Everything in one system would give great mixing, editing and conforming advantages...

Greetings,

Thierry