View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Latency and system configuration help!

Darryl, Perhaps I am speaking too fast, at this point I configured ProTools in a system that I had been using for the last 4 years and still use for Cubase, Vegas and Soundforge as well as other apps.... My move to ProTools was as more of an experiment that has been an ongoing challenge.

Saying that, this is a experiment in process and I"m finding out more everyday on what my current system is or isn't doing. I am still using this system for the other tasks and programs and seems to be doing just fine...

I have been told that ProTools may be a little trickier to deal with and so, that was my reasoning for thinking about another computer. I can take the RME card out of my current system and load it in to the new system with a clean install of ProTools... In my thought pattern I am thiking I can continue with my current system for our current projects and tasks while I get PT up to a stable platform... rather than trying to go back on a 4 year old system and deal with all that has been installed and used over the last 4 years... If I were to do that, I'd wipe the drive and start over... but that leaves me with out a system until I get everything done... that isn't the best option in my thoughts.

I also look at the new system with more advanced features such as the ability to use a PCIE M-2 solid state drive, and other drives I"ll decided on as I go. Needless to say, I"m a one man shop with lots of other things going on than just experimenting with Pro Tools. I may come to the determination that my idea of interfacing with the Sony Board isn't going to do what I want it to.... so, that just opens another bag of worms!

On the other hand I have a local engineering friend that knows PT very well and has alot of experience with it... His answer is Toss the PC, get an apple and a new Appogee set up and be happy.... at this point, I don't see that happening!

So, I"ll experiment, tweak and try various ideas and suggestions... but bottom line is I think by having a new computer to start from ground zero may be an approach that will get me both worlds at the end.

I do appreciate all the suggestions, help and I am trying the different things as quickly as I can.... again, A one man show! Probably biting off more that I really need to do right now Hopefully folks here can appreciate that.

To answer your question why not put it all on the SSD, I"ve always been told.. 1 drive OS and Programs.... 2nd drive Audio.... (which just may end up being a 2nd SSD (not an PCIE though)...

Dave