View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014, 04:19 AM

Default Re: Chains and signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitolanzafame View Post
I was wondering if someone could help clear up some fundamental questions that i've asked lots of people in the recording business but without getting concrete answers.
Its to do ultimately getting the most faithful and pure sound possible.

I have an Mbox mini.
I was going to invest in a nice DI box like a Radial, and also a half decent mic pre like a focusrite ISA One.

But then i thought: the signal from my nice DI box (of say, a bass) is then going to go into the line in of my mbox, and then through the converter in my mbox. (Not to put the mbox down, but I don't know how high the quality of its converters and pre amps are.) So is my mbox essentially letting down other high quality elements in the chain (mics, mic pres, DI boxes etc) ?

Is it pointless to invest in great mic pres and mics without having really good converters and inputs? (and on this point, is the DI input in my mbox also a pre amp stage which colours the sound, or is it just a transparent DI?)

I know the answer is often "if it sounds good then use it". I do think the mbox sounds good. But then i hear something which is on a whole other level, and I'm basically trying to get as close to that as i can, but want to understand which elements i need to be spending on (and not potentially wasting money on)

I hope someone can help with some of these points!

thanks very much

Tom
Hi,

The pre amps in the Radial or ISA one would definitely be an improvement over the preamps in the Mbox mini. you would then run the signal from the preamps into the "line" input (Bypassing the Mbox preamps and getting a much better preamp stage)

If you upgraded to a bigger Mbox with digital inputs then you could run digitally into the Mbox from say the ISA one and get an even better purer signal path.

Everything else in the chain must also match the quality of your preamp upgrade!! the mics you use, compressors if you use them going in, and room acoustics etc.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.