View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 05:51 AM

Default Re: Stupid iLok Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMiddleton View Post
So all my USB ports have been taken up with my Pro Tools Duet by Apogee and the stupid iLok...meaning I can't plug in the new midi keyboard I just bought as it too is powered by USB.

Can people offer solutions please? I've tried plugging in a USB extension but the iLok doesn't seem to register on it and the midi keyboard isn't recognised. Will it make a difference if I buy a mains powered USB extension?

Many thanks in advance!
As has been suggested, a USB hub is a good idea. You don't mention what computer you have but it's probably a Mac if you have an Apogee interface? Macs with USB3 can be problematic. I've been to hell and back with a 12 core 2013 trash can. I went through six, yes SIX USB 2 and 3 hubs before I found one that worked reliably and that would be this chap:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-Po...7+port+USB+hub

Super reliable. It has NEVER failed to recognise a device or drop a connection unlike every other hub I tried. Reassuringly it is constructed of metal. You could literally drive a car over it! I know it's expensive but it just works on USB3 Macs if that's what you have.

BTW, I actually like iLoks. Mine has over 200 licences on it. Imagine challenge/response authorisation for 200 licences!