View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Education with 4 Year $99.00 Upgrade Cost

I'm in a similar position, I have a 10+11HD license bundle, but as a PT10 + Complete Production Toolkit upgrade to HD.

I also have 2x vanilla licenses, bought as a mature student. One is a 'four years of free upgrades' version, and I have been given a license for PT12, but no support plan. This, I think, is the reason for current chaos among people like me, as only those people on support plans appear to have been provided with installer links for 11.3.2 and 12.2 in their Avid accounts. People without a plan don't have tjose links yet.

I am able to update to 12.2 via the Application Manager, but that method doesn't give me direct access to the installer file for archiving purposes. There is currently no way for me to get the 11.3.2 update, it does not appear in any of the three entries in my Avid account for the Pro Tools 11 licenses.

My second student license is still, after two years going through a dispute process with Studica.com, who I bought it from. I bought it after the PT11 announcement, but Studica were still advertising PT10 with 4 years of free upgrades, so I bought it. Avid refuses to accept it, saying I need to take it up with my supplier. Studica says they supplied it in good faith having been themsrlves supplied with it by Avid European Distributor, who in turn say they supplied it in good faith having been given the stock by Avid.

At this stage I'm despairing of it ever being resolved, but after a upcoming holiday I intend to take the case to Trading Standards, ad, after all, I only want what Studica advertised. We'll see what happens.

If that fails, then my second student license will be on the four years of upgrades at $99 per upgrade deal. When Pro Tools 12 was announced, we were told that people on the $99 per upgrade deal would, when upgrading to PT12, be automaticalky transferred onto the new $99 per year suppirt plan deal, as the price difference was 'negligible', even though, based on previous history of paid upgrades around once every two years, this is actually a doubling of cost.

Given that during the webinar, Tim said that EDU licenses were already aggresively priced and that they had not considered changing the T&C of such licenses yet, but may look into it in due course, I suspect that the option to rent pkugins as part of the suppirt plan will not be available to students 'at this time'.

Similarly, I don't imagine there will by any movement on upgrade pricing for students, to reintroduce a price differential advantage for students. At least, not any time soon.

One othe point I raised at the time of the pt12 announcement was never satisfactorily answered to my knowledge.

Under the four years at $99 per upgrade deal, you only had to prove student eligibility at the time of the original purchase. Avid confirmed this was so that when people finished their studies Avid would continue to support thrm with cheaper upgrades in the eatly years of their career.

The new $99 per year support plan deal for students is very different. The four year limit is removed, but the student must prove again that they are still a student at each and every time the support plan falls due for renewal.

My question was if we were automatically transferred onto the new $99 per year support plan deal on upgrading to PT12, would the old eligibility criteria still apply in the future, or would we be forced to prove we are still students at each subsequent upgrade. That has never been clarified to my knowledge.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)