View Single Post
Old 12-23-2018, 12:50 PM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
A few months ago I did an inexpensive upgrade from an i7-930 to an i7-980X (Ebay for about $150 as I recall). Here's what I did: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=399429 Now obviously, a new build with all the latest-and-greatest components would be a LOT more powerful ... just mentioning a cheap/easy upgrade option for you. Also, I always run it @ buffer 64 (typically only a of couple of VI's and only 20-30 audio tracks) ---> works for me.

Going that direction is a distinct possibility. My current system is: Dell XPS 435T/9000 Win-10 Pro 24gig RAM
IntelCore i7 CPU [email protected]

Obviously its time to make an upgrade. Unfortunately, you can't just "upgrade" a Dell with 3rd party MOBO's. There cases are designed to house their own MOBO's and the size/layout for the screws, etc, are not compatible with something that isn't Dell. So, I'm probably going to cannibalize the Dell with a new case, MOBO, CPU etc, but keep the 4 HD's I have now. I also need to upgrade my graphics card which is pitifully out of date. I have 24gig of ram now (6 slots, 4gig each). I could probably make that 48, but I can't imagine what I'd need that much ram for! So I'm thinking 4 slots for 32gig would be more than enough. Heck, 24gig has been just fine.

I was hoping to do this earlier this year, but some other financial priorities took that away. So, hopefully sometime in early 2019 I can do this. I have dual monitors now, but want to add a third HD monitor for when I do scoring for videos and/or (hopefully) games.