View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 11:11 PM

Default Re: DV Toolkit/Music Production Toolkit upgrade price question

So, no upgrade path for us who own MORE THAN ONE toolkit currently???

Not fair. Big disappointment.

My best bet at getting CPTK would be DV Toolkit 2 to CPTK for $695… you've gotta be kidding!!

That's pricey for the few extra features. I might be missing something, but this is just not exciting. I was expecting a reasonably priced upgrade path for those who own both toolkits or who have purchased separately several of the included software parts (I've heard of users who got Eleven or X-Form, besides owning both toolkits).

Neyrinck's Mix 51 will add surround capabilities to LE for just $189. Maybe CPTK will offer better integration of surround mixing in ProTools, but still, $695 could buy other ways to do it, considering that surround mixing is probably the most significant and exciting upgrade feature from DV Toolkit 2 to CPTK.

I've been a loyal Digidesign customer/ProTools user for a little more than 10 years, and this feels like a dis-respectful token of appreciation for customers who've spent a good deal of money on "add-ons" to "un-lock" features in LE. Features that most pro-level competitors offer without forcing you to purchase separate toolkits.

On top of that, an upgrade at this price, and still no ADC engine or any features to deal with plug-in delay??? Many of us deal with plug-in delay by nudging the audio earlier by the amount in samples it would be delayed. Why not give at least this capability in an automated way, so we don't have to shift our audio manually??? This would actually solve a lot, be simpler and less CPU consuming than delaying everything else like ADC does in HD.

Also, with the ability to mix 128 tracks, a lot more plug-in instantiation and CPU demand will happen… yet, CPTK won't offer any track freeze function???

With these upgrade path prices, ADC and track freeze should be included too.

Ohhhh, I'm starting to get it… by the time we've all upgraded to Complete Production Toolkit, they're gonna release CPTK 2… which will add ADC and track freeze to LE… right?

Rodolfo F.