View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Penny & Giles DC-16

Hogie,
You won't regret your choice!!
As a MIDI Controller:
You can set Transmit & Receive channels individually, there are 33 independently programmably control elements (belts, buttons,...), you can do Group Masters, send Note values with Note velocity, generate strings,etc.
There are 8 Programs, and possibilities of linking Programs.
You can set any MIDI CC # for each belt or button, and its MIDI Channel, ...and it has an emulation mode for the CS10 (another non-supported profile since PT 6.9), but, who knows, maybe you can use that in some way for PTLE.
With Reaktor, for instance, you can use 2 Programs (32 belts, 32 buttons) to handle a large Ensemble. All you have to do is choose the right Transmit Channels, and set the belts / buttons to any series of different #s, and then use the MIDI learn (with no worries as to choosing specific #s for specific functions) to activate your interface. The same 2 Programs could handle ALL your Reaktor Ensembles (after you do the MIDI learn for each), since the CC# doesn't matter,-- each belt/button acting as a separate controller. You then have a left hand working the interface while the right hand plays the lead - or vice versa. Using the Aux out, you can have 32 MIDI channels ! And it is downright fine looking, with its red LED belts showing the present levels.
All this is just the tip (the MIDI tip) of the iceberg, since there is also the WORKSTATION CONTROLLER MODE !
And that's where my question comes in.
When in the WORKSTATION CONTROLLER MODE, as with PT5, ALL of PT is handled automatically, volumes, transport, even the inserts,etc, so it's really frustrating to have to patch together a factice version of what was a kick-a-- setup.
I did a quick try by loading the DC-16 profile from my PT5 CD into the proper folder for PT6.9.2, but when I tried to get it operating, it quit (and so did I) - I'll give it a go again eventually, but since I don't know where the incompatibility is (other than Digi's jealousy over this fine machine, I don't know where to look. HELP, PLEASE !!
I also own the Penny & Giles PP-10, an awesome Mastering box (later bought and buried by TLA), and the two communicate their values back & forth in a visually enticing way.
So, dive into the manual, turn down the lights, and ENJOY!
aip