View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Can Anyone Verify / Advise? - Plugins / Delay Compensation / Timing / Downbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Which plugins and if you move those to unused folder, is everything else okay?
Plugins that I know for certain are affected are A.I.R. Filter Gate, SoundToys' Tremolator, and xfer's LFOTool. But I'm pretty sure I've seen it affect other plugins as well (like CableGuys' ShaperBox), and I suspect it affects anything that depends on accurately knowing the current timestamp (like any virtual synth with an arpeggiator).

The erroneous behavior has to do with an audio plugin, which modifies the audio in a way that is supposed to be rhythmic and not only synced to the session's tempo but also occurring "on grid" (like audio being sliced or rhythmically modulated) not knowing where the downbeat is - or in other words, not knowing where in the measure it is time-wise.
With no latency-inducing plugins in the session, the audio is processed correctly.
If there are latency-inducing plugins prior to the signal reaching the "problematic" plugins, thereby requiring delay compensation, then the rhythmic audio-processing plugins spit out their audio off-grid instead of on-grid.
Pro Tools should be informing the plugins of the current time accurately, but apparently it is not; it looks and sounds as if the program does not take delay compensation into account when it reports the current timestamp to a plugin.

If I move the "problem" plugins to the unused folder, then there's nothing to test, as the issue is very specifically with regard to the timing of audio that is being processed in a rhythmic way, and whether that properly lines up with the session's grid.

In the process of making the test session, whose steps I outlined in my own reply above, I was able to see how introducing delay compensation into the session "broke" the timing of A.I.R. Filter Gate, which is a bundled plugin as part of the Creative Collection that a Pro Tools installation includes.
So I'm perhaps a step closer to figuring this out - but I don't know why Pro Tools is incorrectly reporting the current timestamp to the plugins without accounting for delay compensation. I don't know if there's some sort of setting that can be changed to make it work correctly, or if it's just coded wrong in the program itself.

I've also tested this now, from scratch, on a separate studio machine with an Avid 192 interface, with the same results.