View Single Post
Old 08-03-2017, 10:24 PM

Default NAS users (ISIS, NEXIS, SNS owners): you PT performance experience?

I'm supporting a facility running 12 PT bays (doing foreign language dubbing, think iMacs in rooms, not sound stages). They eagerly wanted centralized storage that everyone worked directly from, and we ended up choosing a Small Tree shared storage system several months ago, based on their PT experience and competitive price point.

After plenty of troubleshooting and ironing, the system is deployed, stable and everyone is working directly off the storage. However, we're seeing sporadic performance issues: PT would beachball for 1-10 seconds. It usually happens after hitting record, stop, save, or render.

1. What has been your experience, as far as responsiveness? Have you experienced such performance "hiccups"?

2. Do you know any PT / NAS engineering gurus in the US that could provide consulting or 'tier 3' support? Ideally someone who helped develop PT, has hands-on experience debugging PT code, who can analyze SMB/AFP networks stacks, and help figure out the bottleneck.

It may be worth spending hundreds of $ on that before I tell the owners "sorry, gotta shell out $50K on a beefier system and hope it works better this time around."

I can give a whole lot of detail about the system's configuration, but wanted to keep the initial post short.

Thanks!