View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Daisychaining Firewire and TB3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoolsLover View Post
Another option could be to do it the way I do at my work iMac. I run OSX off of an external SSD thunderbolt drive enclosure for my iMac and use the internal drive for backup as it has a Fusion (Complete Garbage) drive.

It would be much cheaper to use an external SSD than pay for the internal SSD upgrade cost. You can use an External Thunderbolt SSD as your system drive and use the stock internal SSD that comes with the mac as your Audio Drive.
I wonder what Darryl Ramms' reply was to this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
That can work, and you may be the best way to go for some folks. Part of my goal was to avoid any external disk, but the moment you allow external disk the options may flip around like this. For really heavy work smaller passive cooled external NVMe SSD may get too hot and throttle (I expect my Samsung X5 is... it gets pretty warm when pushed doing a lot of IO (more than *I* would do using it just for Pro Tools) and I should measure the performance and see). But in a fan cooled external chassis I expect them to do much better. I also wonder if those larger chassis, are better at avoiding accidental bumping and unplugging, the smaller drives seem are easier to move/bump and maybe accidentally unplug.
Quite.