View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 09:02 AM

Default Re: MIDI problem: multiple track sounds, but same notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post

I don't think the XF8 can send MIDI out from tracks already recorded into it to PT - at least my original Motif 7 can't. And as far as splitting 5 audio tracks from a recorded piece in the Motif into 5 separate audio tracks - you'd have to dig into the Motif documentation for that.
Actually, yes you can. All mixer or song file tracks on the Motif are in MIDI and you can send out each track on separate midi channels to play something else via MIDI.

You can also on both the Motif XS and XF series send out simultaneous audio via the mLAN (or Firewire) connection. Because the Motif meets the ASIO standard, you can actually set it up your audio interface via the firewire connection. I do this all the time. When I want to, for example, have a PT MIDI track play a voice off the Motif, I can lay that down as an audio track via the Firewire. I simply change audio interface from my MBox 2 MINI to the Motif. Additionally, the Motif allows you to send up to 14 mono or 7 stereo audio tracks that way, PLUS the main stereo L/R out. You do have to set up your audio inputs on PT correctly so you can tell each audio track where the input is coming from. At that point, all input levels are controlled via MIDI and not with any of the audio faders on the Motif or any other place, because its all in the digital realm.

You can also create a song on the Motif...say something with 6 tracks. Unless you specifically convert those tracks to WAV within the Motif, it stores all track info as MIDI. You can then route each of the sequencer tracks of the Motif to separate MIDI channels, so Motif sequencer track 1 is Midi ch 1, track 2 Midi 2 etc. (either Song or Pattern mode).

So, IF what you want to do is record whatever MIDI data is on the Motif in a song where each part is on a different Motif track in the Song (say tracks 1-5), then set up 5 MIDI tracks in PT. Then, in PT, have MIDI track 1 receive MIDI 1, track 2 MIDI 2 and so on. Record arm all of them, and hit play, and hit play on the Motif and all the different MIDI tracks on the Motif will send their individual midi parts out to the corresponding tracks in PT. If you want to hear, say, a VI in PT playing the part off the Motif, then point the MIDI output of whatever MIDI track in PT you're recording the MIDI data from the Motif on TO whatever VI on an instrument track you wish, and as the MIDI data comes into the MIDI track to record, it will also play the VI you've selected. But, you might experience some delay.

If what you want to do is record the AUDIO from the Motif song tracks to the Audio tracks in PT, then, you can use the Firewire connection, set up the Motif as an audio interface for PT, and then input each PT audio tracks with whatever output is needed from the Song file on the Motif. If you need more info on that, let me know.

But, yes, PT WILL record multiple MIDI tracks simultaneously. I do this all the time between my Motif XS8 and PT. Works wonderfully. And I go the other way all the time, too.

Hope this helps a bit.