View Single Post
Old 10-20-2004, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Logic into Protools. An idea for someone to steal.

Quote:
A ReWire HOST can only receive audio via the ReWire buss. Both Logic and Pro Tools are hosts.
Yes this is correct I used the language from the Propellerheads. They refer to Rewire Mixers (the host application) and to Rewire Synths (the programming feeding sound into the host).

Quote:
What you want (and I'm not sure if it's possible) is someone to create a new stand-alone app which is also a ReWire host -- they would then also have to create an Audio Units, TDM and RTAS plug-in which is a ReWire Slave which could be inserted on the master fader in either Logic or Pro Tools (or both).. the audio would be sent from the plug-ins to the standalone host app which would be able to mix the sources together... (I would forsee a program which has stereo or mono channels with automated level controls)... The standalone host app would be responsible for your Master Output.

No I'm going another way.

My idea is to create an application that is a Rewire Synth (or slave) and at the same time a Core Audio Driver.
It would be similiar in function to FXPansions VST to Rewire adapter in that it would route audio into Rewire but instead it's source would be a fake Core Audio Drive as well as having a fake set of MIDI ports.

All of the "source" programs (Logic in my case) would see a normal Core Audio Driver as their output.

The Rewire Mixer/Master/Host programs input (an insert in Protools LE in my case) would see a Rewire Synth/Slave program.

Signal flow would be this:
Logics main output is set to Rewire Audio Driver->the Rewire Audio Driver outputs that signal as a Rewire Synth/Slave->this Rewire signal then feeds an insert in Protools

Midi and Control on the source would act as if it were speaking to a piece of hardware with regards to routing and transport control.

MIDI and control in the host program would think it is communicating with a Rewire Synth program.

Thanks for the feedback. Please give me more when you have a chance.

Quote:
The only company I can think of which could even do a feasability study would be FXPansion.. so you should contact them.

Rail
I'll bring it to them as well.