View Single Post
Old 04-22-2017, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 and AMD Ryzen CPU's

Hey man!

Have you read the comments in the Scan Pro Audio video that you're referring to? (here's the link by the way, for everyone to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj57X_WDojc )

English isn't my mother tongue and though I went to uni in London sometimes I get confused, so I'm not sure what was your point about the Scan Pro Audio video in regards to Ryzen processors. Anyways, I'll leave my opinion about it here.

I'll tell you this; I've been using Ryzen in Pro Tools 12 for a month now and I'm really impressed with it. I am not gonna lie though, these chips are one month old and there are still some issues that AMD and the motherboard vendors will have to fix with time. For instance, I've ran benchmarks with PT but also with video games and audio middleware solutions like Wwise and FMod. In games there is room for improvement, as Ryzen isn't given as many frames per second (FPS) as the Intel counterparts. The CLEAR reason? EVERY game right now was developed with a focus on Intel processors and to take advantage of the procesors IPC (instructions per Core) rather than focusing in optimizing them for multi-core processing. Ryzen was not out when all these games were in development. Ashes of The Singularity, a very popular game to conduct benchmarks just launched a Ryzen patch and the performance in the game (in FPS) improved by a 33%.

Back to PT and the audio world: The same thing happens with DAWs. No DAW released as of now was tested and developed for Ryzen processors. It is therefore so obvious that this chips won't perform as good as they could. I've experienced some issues with the RAM memory the first days, but MSI (my motherboard vendor) released a BIOS upgrade and corrected this problem.
However, as MSI kept updating the software that controls the overclock of the processor I've noticed some performance problems both in games and in PT. The Command Center application that controls my Ryzen's OC seems to take almost a 2% CPU load (I'm trying to fix this problem) and it doesn't make a big impact, but it's certainly an issues that needs to be fixed.
This problem might be related to MSI B350 Tomahawk motherboard only though. If I stop the process taking the 2% CPU load and don't use MSI's Command Center everything goes back to normal. The thing is, I need to use this for gaming as I need to control the processors fan, but it is totally fine when I am using Pro Tools.

Software related problems aside, I haven't had any issues with my Ryzen in PT. With my old i5 2400 (I know this one is a low mid-range processor) I could load only one insert of BFD3. With Ryzen I've used 4 BFD3 tracks and it runs smooth as silk in a session full of Kontakt VSTs (orchestral session).
In my humble opinion Ryzen offers the best bang for the buck at the moment. I do recommend buying it to those whom, like me, had an old processor and need to get as many cores as possible to work with audio and don't want to spend a crazy amount of money in doing so.