View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 08:25 AM

Default Fixing A Messy Recording?

Hi all!

I recently joined up with a college partner to work on a music production project together - we have to fully record, mix and master an EP. He insisted that we use the 3 songs he recorded by himself earlier in the year, with a band I had nothing to do with.

After listening to the recordings, I find it a bit messy - there's a ton of bleed, and the mics weren't set up properly. On top of that, the vocals and guitar are slightly distorted on all tracks. I'm considering using sound replacer on the drum parts that need it, but obviously that's not going to solve everything.

There's no chance of bringing in the band to re-record their parts or otherwise record over their parts. I know the only true way to fix this is to get it right at the source, but in this case that's not possible.

So using plugins and mixing alone, is there anything I can do to make this sound less messy? I've already done the obvious things like putting expanders on the tracks that need it, but as far as the distortion goes, I'm a bit lost.

Let me know if there's any info I've left out!

Thanks in advance,
Adam