View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 04:35 AM

Default Re: Any Carbon users who were using UAD Apollo before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
I won't argue with any of your points Luke, as my technical network knowledge hasn't been enhanced much since about 2005. If you want to know about DECnet or SNA gateways, then I can probably help.....
Hah! I'm sure there's someone still using DECnet somewhere!

Quote:
So, given that AVB bypasses some or all of the reasons that I identified as being the cause of Ethernet slowness, can you explain why Carbon still has more latency than a direct-attached TB interface? Is it most likely drivers, or Avid's AVB implementation being poorer than RME's, or perhaps something else. Genuinely curious to know.....
I'm going to punt that they are using the default presentation time offset of 2ms, because they can't change CoreAudio and, indeed, even if they could, it might be harder to get under that in a non-realtime software implementation (for pretty much the reasons you mention).

I should add that latency is pretty subjective and the Carbon may well be fine for VI use, I have not tried it. AVB in CoreAudio circa 2015 was not great with small buffer sizes but, things have probably improved since then.