View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 07:20 AM

Default Re: Help alligning a session to bars/beats grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyc View Post
Sorry guys that my description wasn't very clear. But thanks for chiming in. Let me try to clarify...

So my process would be to (using the transient of the kick as a guide) tab to the first measure of the song and, using Identify Beat, I would set that as the 1st measure of the song. Then I would tab to the start of the 2nd measure and, using Identify Beat, I would set that as the 2nd measure of the song. I do this for the duration of the song and now the song is locked to the bars/beats grid. Once I get to this stage I should have no problems importing midi drum tracks.
What you've described makes complete sense. As mentioned above, when I do this my session is sample based (all tracks/lanes sample based).

What is generated each time you identify a beat (as seen in the TEMPO TRACK ruler) should be a new tempo event every (in the method you outlined) measure.

If you're creating your MIDI drum tracks within PT, you should be done, assuming you've completed the tempo map before the drums. If in reverse order (drums first), you may need to quantize the MIDI tracks to the new tempo map.

If you're using an external sequencer to create the drum tracks, I'd suggest you import the newly created PT Tempo Map into your sequencer and perform step 2 above in the sequence before you export your tracks in PT.

However you work, it appears to me that your drift is caused by the MIDI not locked to your newly created PT Tempo Map.

Hope this helps.
DSP & IO : Pro Tools HDX2(2018.3), 2x UAD Octo, HDIO 16x16 Analog IO(3), HDIO 16x16 Digital IO
Plugins: Avid, DMG Audio, Kush, oeksound, P'n'T, Plugin Alliance, Softube, SoundTheory, Sonnox, Sound Radix, SoundToys, UAD, VEP, etc
Hardware: API, Chandler, Hardy, Moog, Neve, Shadow Hills, Smart, Summit, TC Electronic M6000, UREI, etc
Microphones: Telefunken, Neumann, Shure, AKG