View Single Post
Old 06-24-2017, 03:38 PM

Default Looking for advice on a new system for large virtual instrument sessions

Hey everyone,

First of all, I know these posts suck, so thank you to anyone who reads through it. I'm looking to get some direction in a new system. Generally I feel like I'm on top of this stuff since I've been building computers since I was a kid, but I feel like heavy Virtual Instrument and plugin use has some variables that I'm missing. I like to stay as much "in the box" as I can, but I'm not opposed to including more outboard gear.

My current setup is posted below, and it's struggling against my large sessions. I run in excess of 32 instrument tracks with VIs, all with multiple plugins per track. With the buffer set high it will absolutely push through a huge session, but there's a CPU overhead I can't explain and it's only in the Pro Tools system usage window. Windows barely sees the CPU cap 50%. I'm starting to use more outboard gear, and running the buffer down at 64 samples with so many VIs and plugins is unrealistic, but necessary at the same time for the signal to leave, go through outboard effects, and return on time. When I was running completely in the box sessions, I could set the buffer high while I was composing and then render offline at the end, but that's becoming less of an option with the direction I'm going.

If money wasn't an issue, but I still wanted to be efficient and not just throw money at equipment I don't need, what kind of system would I need to run the following with zero issues and CPU overhead to spare?

1. Audio Buffer at 64 or 32 samples, or the equivalent.
2. Work at 88.2 and 32 bit float, if possible.
3. Run 32+ (more, if possible) virtual instruments and heavy synths with multiple additional plugins per track. All on highest resolution settings.
4. Mastering plugins running live over the session.
5. No freezing tracks.

That seems like a short list, but I know that's asking a lot from a system. Am I looking at a dual Xeon server class workstation? Am I looking at running multiple slave machines? Is my interface the choke point? If I knew I wouldn't be asking you fine people.

Current setup:
Core i7 3820, speed step, C states disabled, locked at 3.8GHz
16GB of DDR3 1333
4 SSDs, 3 Platter Drives, all meeting/exceeding Pro Tools requirements
Windows 10 Pro, independent installation just for Pro Tools
Pro Tools 11 and 12
loopmidiBE
Finale v25 and 2012
Digidesign 003 Rack

My workflow:
I compose in Finale, and while writing I pipe over midi to Pro Tools using virtual midi cables. Pro Tools is record enabled and hosts all the plugins on the other side. When finished writing, I export the midi file, import into Pro Tools, and do my final editing and automation from there.

Most used VI's and Plugins:
Komplete 11
East West Hollywood Series and Composer Cloud titles
Serum
Various Waves plugins
Various iZotope plugins
Slate Digital
Dozens of others....

And yes, I have trashed preferences.