View Single Post
Old 10-04-2015, 01:52 AM

Default Re: AAX-DSP? Yes! A crowd-funded project you can support if you use DSP.

Mike from Pro Tools Expert here.

Quote:
PTE has turned into advertising driven clickbait (PT sucks and "this" is wonderful and "this" is who is paying most for advertising) and I don't really know any one serious that still goes there or listens. It's turned into a bad joke.
Quote:
My feeling exactly. I can't even tolerate waiting for a web page load on their web site anymore with all those damn ads.
Those "damned ads" are the way we can bring the huge amount of free content to the Pro Tools community. We are producing 3 to 6 stories a day on the site and these aren't just copied and pasted press releases, these are carefully consisted pieces, team members spending 20 hours on a mic preamp shoot out. Having team members at major trade shows reporting on the latest information. Helping people walk their way through the new Avid licensing system. Providing detailed video previews of products before they are released. All this takes time, and then there is the infrastructure to keep the site running, which because of the visitor numbers is significant.

We have just upgraded the system that delivers those damned ads so that shouldn't delay the content loading.

As to the comment that our content favours advertisers, as the editor I can that is complete rubbish. We have a very strong editorial independence and if you listen to the podcast we actually challenged Quinto's claims about how easy it is to code for AAX DSP as we talk to a lot of the developers behind the scenes.

We have advertisers that completely respect our independence and know that we will dig around to get the latest info.

If have any ideas of how to run and fund a site of our size and level of output without those damned ads, I would be very interested to here it. Meanwhile, I have a roof over my head and my family are being cared for.

Mike

Editor Pro Tools Expert