View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 06:38 PM

Default Re: latency when using hardware inserts (oo3)

Quote:
I went back and referenced some other threads about TIME ADJUSTER - then tried to put it to application.i created a 3 track session - two guitar and one mono drum. when i put my insert on the drum track, the delay was measured to be 6 samples... to test the theory of time adjuster i put it on the guitar tracks and set it to compensate for 6 samples - in fact...when I engaged the time adjuster plug on the tracks they in turn incurred a 20 sample delay!

I'm not one to be obnoxious and tell other people their theories are wrong. really I just want to learn as much as possible about this problem. considering what i just described, am i still doing something wrong? how can a plugin designed to compensate for delay add 20 samples of delay?
The time adjuster plug adds 4 samples of latency so if you are seeing a number of 20 that make it seem that there other plugs involved.
Try this just make a session put 2 mono tracks and a master.
Record the same thing to the 2 tracks, a stereo signal will also work but don't use a stereo track in the session.
Add something that has a real latency like 512 or more but only to one track, use multiple plugs if necessary since it makes it easier to experiment with when you can hear the delay.
Now add the medium or large adjuster to the other track, it will add 4 samples of delay to that track so don't worry about that.
Next you just input the numerical value shown on the track with the plugs you should hear things line up once you do it.

It's also helpful if you do a OPTION + COMMAND when you click to get the channel to display DLY so it shows on all the channels when you are in a session.