View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 9 choppy playback sandra report included

Just a couple quick observation about your system:

The hard drives are 5400RPM. Protools requires a 7200RPM drive for the audio drive.

It looks like Drive C:, D:, and E: are partitions of the same physical drive. Protools should use a physically different hard drive (not a partition of the same drive) than the system drive for the audio drive (second hard drive that is 7200 RPM or faster.) In the case of a notebook computer, this usually means an external drive. Since firewire has issues on Windows 7, you are probably going to need to use an USB 2.0 drive. eSATA will also work but that usually requires a eSATA port or card.

AMD Phenom (3 core processor). For several years now Protools has been working much better on Intel based processors than their AMD counterparts. I am not saying that it doesn't work on AMD chips but that Intel had taken the lead from a performance point and Protools just seems to be leaning that way lately.

Integrated graphics. I know this is not something you can change in a notebook setup but dedicated graphics (not integrated graphics) is preferred for Protools. This frees up some shared memory by providing dedicated video RAM for video use.

Also you need to set your playback engine to use one processor core less than you actually have (if you have 3 cores, set it to 2 processor cores). This free up one processor core to handle non-realtime processing and other system functions.
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
MacOS 10.15.4 running Protools 2020.5.0