View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE to HD upgrade special: Open discussion

I don't normally chime in but I had to on this topic. I bought an Mbox about 2 years ago in order to be compatiable with PT. I had Nuendo with a presonus and everything worked great (even on a laptop). I now have PT8.0 as well as Sonar 8. here is the thing, I am limited in PT8 to 48 tracks. Why buy the tool kit to get 64 tracks when I can just use Sonor 8 (which cost the same as the tool kit) and I have unlimited tracks. I recently built an i7 which I have not seen the meter move past 20% with 6 VI's (to include Ivory). Why do I say all this, to show I have way more power than ever. YET........

I still looked at getting an HD system on ebay because I thought I would gain something. Then when PT came out with the exchange program, I almost jumped. UNITL my common sense came back to me. WHY IN THE WORLD would I spend 5 grand for PTHD and a 96 i/o which sounds no better than my firepod? For that price, I could buy a DIGI003 with CPTK and a rosetta 800 (for better ADC). Now tell me that system can't compete with an HD1?

So my point to AVID is I understand you are in business to make money. We are in business to keep money. Most of us do not have a grammy or million dollar budgets. We seldom work in big boy studio's. A wave form is a wave form and all we have to do is drag it over if we go to another platform. Its just that simple. I was around during the Alesis ADAT days. That was the industry standard for YEARS till you came along. Where are they now?

In closing, just open up the track count and make the software the same (no difference between LE or HD). You still have a large enough footprint to make a profit. But I think I speak for us all in that if you don't come with your A++++ game come NAMM.....We are NEVER going to buy HD unless you slash the price to around $3000. It just isn't worth it.