View Single Post
Old 10-28-2002, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Opinions on best cymbals for recording.

mikes pretty much on the money.

i've recorded many drum kits over the past twelve years or so and they've all been different.

each time sees a new combination of musicians, drums, cymbals, rooms and mics. it's such a subjective thing that it's almost impossible to offer direct advice on cymbal choice as so many factors come into play where drums are concerned, as they do with all acoustic instruments and each person that plays the instrument will make it sound different.

just go with what you think is right. never judge a cymbal in a drum store when it is in a rack with 20 other cymbals. pull them out and hit them until you've deciced which ones have the right character then put the ones you like on a kit and have a go. try different combinations - they don't all have to be the same series, or even the same brand, and try to play on a kit similar to what you have. don't try them out on the freshly tuned $20k sonor kit or the '69 ludwig if you don't own one yourself as you'll be distracted by the sound of the actual kit (i know too many drummers!)

trial and error may well enter the equation and it's quite possible that you'll find your taste in cymabls changes as your playing changes (and the ability of your ears to perceive top end. hehe...)

my personal taste - i don't like cymbals that go "pish"