View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 09:40 AM

Default Re: More Missing Audio Files that won't relink

Quote:
Originally Posted by thierryd View Post
I would even say, use "Force to Target Session Format", instead of "copy from source media", when importing audio from embedded AAF or OMF files. PT is a lot less smart about file management than Avid's Media Composer. With "Force to Target Session Format" you can be sure that it copies and converts the audio to your session's format.
When exchanging sessions between different computers (especially with different versions of PT), things go wrong when opening up PT sessions, that imported audio linked to media from an embedded OMF/AAF file. Relinks don't work anymore etc.
You would think that in 2018 Avid would have brought PT and MC closer to each other on the file management level (that is PT closer to MC! dare I say AudioVision 1996 , but apparently it must be a gigantic task to implement. MC has always a perfect idea of its media, even if it's offline and MC lets the user organise media in bins etc . PT doesn't know a lot of its media unless it's online (and getting it online via relink is sometimes not easy, so you have to avoid the pitfalls) and the cliplist can...not be organised by the user
PT has made a lot of progress the last few years, but in this department there's certainly room for improvement.

Greetings,

Thierry
Thanks for the advice. I always have used the "Copy from source media" option, but I will try the "Force to target format" and hopefully that will improve things. I can't for the life of me figure out why just a few of the files would still have paths to the original hard drive when all of the others updated their paths correctly.

Unfortunately, upgrading the home rig to 12.8 isn't a viable option from a financial standpoint.

Dan