View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 06:50 AM

Default Re: I finally caved and bought omnisphere 2

Its way more than a romPler. Omni has very in depth sound design features that allow you to easily create your own patches, either using the multiple wave forms and samples that come with it, or by importing your own samples. the latest version is 2.6 so make sure that's what you have. If not, once you've installed it on your system, I'd highly recommend updating. Its a free update for any owners of 2.0 or higher.

It comes loaded with hundreds of great patches and multis to get you started. They also have setups that will auto-map certain midi controllers to omnisphere such as Nord Stage or Nord 1, 2, 3 or 4, or Yamaha Reface CS, and about 30 others. That means that when you choose that set up, if you have one of those controllers, everything is premapped onto Omnisphere so all the knobs and sliders on the controller work instantly with the parameters in Omni. Also, they provide all kinds of patches in the style of those same synths. Not exact emulations, but definitely in the family.

Omni is a monster without a doubt. You'll need to take time with it to understand the layout an how the various components integrate. It is a full on sound design synth.

It can be a bit of a resource hog depending on the patch (or multi) and what system you're running. I have an older windows based Dell (see my signature below for the exact system) and I do run into a CPU clog every once in a while with Omni. If you have a newer more powerful CPU you might not notice anything. Of course track freeze or commit can alleviate that issue.

There are also several good places to pick up 3rd party patch and multi libraries for it. One in particular, which I highly recommend is Plug-in Guru. John (Skippy) Lehmkuhl is the "guru" and he's a superb sound designer. He has lots of helpful videos on his website about the various patches for Omni that will help you better understand it. And his libraries are excellent. I own about 15 of them and they're all just great.

Finally, there are several helpful tutorial videos on the Spectrsonics website.

Good luck and most of all HAVE FUN with it!!
IntelCore i7 CPU 920@2.67GHz
Pro Tools 2019.10
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6