View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Avid

Default Re: Digi-Why was tiger better then Leo using all cores?

Quote:
I completely Agree, but by saying this, the real "Pill to swallow" is, "HD Accel PCIx Have Seen their day" it's the "Real issue" we're all afraid to say out loud... really... to move forward, it's time to look for a Chassis, or a Hardware exchange.
I wouldn't necessarily say that - there are many, many studios/people out there that use a minimal (if any) VI's and a system like this would be more than adequate. It's the VI user that really needs to be on a more modern machine.

And, believe me, I very much appreciate the even-handedness of your reply. Many people freak out when I try to get too 'real world' with them. Sometimes there are harsh realities that need to be faced - but you know that.

Quote:
To be fair these problems are not all Digi's fault or the VI software companies either or Apples. There is a combination of things happening here with new operating systems and hardware/software.
Agreed. And we're doing as much as we can to alleviate these issues as quickly as possible - I use VI's regularly and it's one of my 'personal missions' here (along with Scott Church) to get them working at a level that everyone agrees is viable. We've made a lot of changes, Leopard made a lot of changes and it's going to take plug-in manufacturers (who usually have the least overall resources) some time to make their changes. We still have some work to do in Pro Tools, but in the long run I'm more than confident that we will get to a point where performance will be a non-issue - it'll just plain work.