View Single Post
Old 12-22-2004, 08:15 AM

Default Re: ilok - someone elses security system you pay f

Interesting that few of you seem to appreciate the concept that is at the core of the issue - that USERS are paying to protect the copyright of the software companies.

Of course, ultimately the user pays, but iLok as a separate entity, is more expensive and more cumbersome. Instead of having the software companies as their clients, they have the end users. Lots of them. Each one of them pays iLok.

While many end user needs are being met, obviously some of their needs are not. Remember, without copyright protection, there would be no need for iLok.

The fact that this has been discussed to death is irrelevant. The iLok system has problems that could be fixed. For example, the dongle itself is poorly designed - it hogs space on the usb hub, it is prone to breakage. The Logic dongle, being smaller, is better in this regard.

If iLok never charges the $25, why do they ask for it? The first time I saw that I had to agree to a $25 charge before asking a question was - annoying to say the least. This policy is not well thought out and causes bad feelings towards iLok. Goodwill from your clients is crucial and iLok squanders it.

This has been mentioned before, but so what - a local Digi dealer told me of users that had bought a Waves package, but used the (k) versions to avoid dealing with copyright protection.

FWIW, I don't use ANY (k) software, and i don't advocate it. But morality aside (and moral issues can get pretty murky), it is not hard to see why someone would.

Those of you who are happy with iLok as is, great! For the rest of us, iLok has some work to do. I am always trying to improve on the job I do for my clients. A little more of that attitude at iLok would be a good thing.

Happy holidays!....H