View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 11:04 AM

Default Looking to replace 4,1 Mac Pro with 7,1 Mac Pro 8 core base model

Hi all,
I'm currently running PT 11.3.2, Native HD card and Omni HD I/O and an Eleven Rack, used sometimes for guitar sounds along with a UAD Quad PCIe card on a 4,1 Mac Pro, 32 GB RAM and OS Yosemite. I do small, singer/songwriter sessions for myself with track counts that usually don't go past 24 and I have no issues with having enough plugins being available for my sessions.

The system is very stable but obviously old and I'd like to purchase a new 7,1 Mac Pro for my audio work but also for my photography and graphic design work. Based on how my current Mac Pro covers my work, I think I would be ok with the 8 core base model, base graphics card but with 64 GB RAM and a larger 2 or 4 TB SSD. I'd keep my UAD Quad card and add an Octo card or sateliite. I think a 12 or 16 core would be overkill for my needs, besides being way too expensive for me personally. I'm not interested in any other Macs like minis or iMacs and I passed on the 6,1 Mac Pro as I don't want all the extra peripherals hanging around due to my small space.

I've already purchased a PT upgrade to Ultimate and have just been waiting for Avid to confirm the 7,1 even though I know people have already started using them. I've read the Eleven Rack doesn't work with OS Catalina but other than that and whatever workaround I can come up with for it, my plan would be to move to the new 8 core base Mac Pro with the ability to possibly upgrade it down the line, as many think this will be possible with cheaper 3rd party solutions.

Given the modest use I outlined, do you guys think the 8 core will work for me?

Thanks in advance,
JoeM